Thursday, April 30, 2009

Work To Do

Today I went to BYU for the annual Women's Conference. It was strange to be walking around the campus again-- brought back not such great memories. I seem to be in a small minority of people who hated their time at BYU.

That aside, I had a good day. I spent the whole day learning about things that I need to work on. I probably could have come up with them on my own, but instead, all of these nice speakers did it for me.

It wasn't like that, really-- but I did have to laugh at the irony of the talk which gave 4 steps to not overburdening yourself. I seemed to be the only one who thought it was funny.

The best part of the day was unexpected for me. During the opening presentation, the speaker had a lady named Marrilee Webb do a 15 minute presentation/practice of the song "Now Let Us Rejoice." (Tina, I see why you liked singing in her choir so much now!) Did you know that W.W. Phelps wrote that song in the midst of the Saints greatest turmoil in Missouri? When he's talking about the scourges and harvest being over, he's being literal.

Anyway, there were thousands of women in that room and she had us stand and sing that hymn at the top of our lungs. It felt like bearing my testimony at camp-- you know that feeling where you are wrapped up in love and unity and you can see what heaven feels like for just a second? I had this glimpse that all of those women were my sisters and ultimately, we all wanted the same thing.

Too bad those kinds of feelings don't stay around so long. Pretty soon, I was getting jostled around in lines, trying to pick my way around people who stopped to talk in crowded hallways, and bumping elbows with a woman who was taking up way too much of my space. It was far too easy to forget that these same annoying people were the sisters that I felt so much love for hours before.

Like I said. I have a lot of work to do.

1 comment:

R Fitz said...

Sounds like you had a good time.