Wednesday, September 10, 2008

More Bad Bike Mojo

I've got bad bike mojo hangin' around me. I just have to face it. This is usually my favorite month for cycling-- perfect weather, Doug in preschool for 5 hours a week-- I should be getting in at least 3 awesome rides a week. So, since school started, why have I only had 1?

Part of the time, I have been going with my new padawan cyclists. Being Tuesday yesterday, I got ready for a 30 miler while Doug was busy learning about the letter "B". I got my Pilot 5.2 out of the garage, worried that she'd be mad at me for spending so much time on the FX. She didn't hold a grudge, though and I tenderly guided her through the minefield which is now my street. (Dang construction crews!) However, when I stopped to see if Calli wanted to come, everyone else did too. I took Pilot back home and traded for FX with the tandem attached. I haven't dared look at Pilot since-- I'm sure she'll hold a grudge. My plan was to ride 10 with them then trade and get in 15 or so by myself.

Bike Mojo had a different plan. Calli had one kid in a trailer, Tina had one in hers, and I had a kid on the tandem. After 5 miles, Calli's trailer blew a wheel-- splattering tire slime all over the road-- and all over Joy, which was funny. We ditched the trailer in someone's front yard and put two kids in Tina's trailer. Calli and Joy bailed (every man for herself), and Tina and I slowly made our way back up out of Saratoga Springs.

One mile later, Tina blows a wheel on her trailer and we are officially done. We were close to where her husband parks his truck for the park-n-ride (yay Ken!), and Tina luckily had the keys, so we unhooked the trailer and she went to get the truck. Sitting there on the side of the road with three kids, I started to laugh. Tina got back and we both laughed, then felt pretty dang cool for rescuing ourselves, then we picked up Doug and ate Subway for lunch.

Bad ride, but funny day, actually. But tomorrow, I'm going for broke :-)

No comments: