Friday, September 05, 2008

My New Converts

I now have my own cycling club. There are four of us and most of the time we are all pulling multiple children in trailers or on tagalongs.

I used to be the only one in lycra-- until today. I spent most of the afternoon helping two of my crew to buy new bikes. Calli even went full-bore with cycling shoes, pedals and yes, even BIKE SHORTS! She looks wicked cool on her new Trek 1.2 WSD. Joy looks equally cool on her FX 7.2 WSD. I'm still working on getting a bike for Tina.

I have to say that all of this is somewhat like being a missionary. However, I'd forgotten the somewhat stressful aspect of that calling-- the part where you feel responsible for getting everyone into whatever it is that you're converting them to.

I worry a little that one of them will get hurt or will regret these pricey purchases and that will be my fault. I'm not positive they are all going to be junkies like me and it's a little worrisome. I know they are all grown ups, but the big sister in me thinks that I am somehow responsible for everyone else.

Well, either way, at least for now I have riding buddies and we can take advantage of the absolutely gorgeous weather that is fall!

No comments: