Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Playing Hookie

I was all set to be responsible this morning. I got up, got the kids to school, and threw the bike on the trainer, thinking I'd put in a quick 30 minutes before I had to shower and get to my meeting with the principal. Just as I'm about to begin my suffer-fest, Tina called.

Somehow, the stars had aligned just right, and both of their husbands were home and able to watch all the kids. It took me about 10 seconds to call the principal and beg out of my meeting. The funny thing was that I didn't feel one drop of guilt about it-- not even one.

You see, today was the perfect day for a ride, and that justifies whatever you have to do to get out. If I could pick ride conditions for every ride I do, they would match today. The weather was just right-- not too cold or too hot. The roads, although beat up (gotta love American Fork right now), were relatively empty. I had two awesome friends by my side, my favorite cycling gear was clean, my bike was lubed-- seriously, does it get any better?

We headed Southwest to the Jordan Parkway Trail for a round trip of 22 miles. This was Tina and Calli's longest ride ever. We were all so happy to be there-- everyone should do something that makes them feel that alive.

My only guilt came from the fact that Layne was stuck at work while I was out thoroughly enjoying myself. Sorry, Babe. Maybe you can go after work?

No comments: