Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Solution

Calli and Tina found a solution to the ride problem-- Tina watched Calli's kids while she and I did 12 miles, then they switched and Tina and I did another 10 or so. I don't know how it went for them, but it worked out really well for me.

Calli and her new bike were dying to open up and see what they could do. We got a good warm up through town to the south side and went over my nemesis railroad tracks. I asked her if she was ready to open it up, she said "heck yeah." I shifted 53/12, stood up over the cranks and hit 28 mph right quick. I have to admit I was showing off, and proceeded to "kick her trash" to the end of the mile long street. (Her words, not mine.)

Yes, I was showing off. Yes, the cycling court of ethics should suspend me for wiping the floor with a newbie-- especially a good friend newbie. In my defense, I have to say I pushed it more for the joy of pushing it-- because it's been a seriously long while since I opened up like that.

Calli was great about it. She pulled up to me at the stop sign and said "That" (wheeze) "was" (wheeze) "freakin'" (double wheeze) "Awesome!" (wheeze, cough, wheeze). I was wheezing a little myself (I kicked my own trash, too.) One mile in 2 min, 20 seconds. Not bad.

*Side note-- I was particularly proud of my padawans today. They both averaged over 15 mph-- pretty dang good for newbies! Good job, Tina and Cal!

No comments: