Thursday, April 02, 2009

The End of An Era


I am sitting here, by myself (Layne's in Dallas-- at a Joan Jett concert, if you can believe it! He says he's working, but I don't know. . .) Anyway, I am sitting here by myself watching the last ER-- Ever.

I remember watching ER with my roomies at Utah State. When I came home from my mission, I sat and watched all the ones I missed. Luckily, I married a guy who likes the show too. It's kind of been our thing. I've spent a good percentage of the Thursday nights of my adult life watching this show.

Really, I don't know why. It's not like the show wasn't always about the same people. Even when the actors left, they essentially found someone to just step into the vacant role. If I'm being completely honest, it was mostly a weekly soap opera.

ER is the only show that I could tell you what day and time it's on. On the NBC site, there is a trivia game that I seriously kicked butt on. Here's my list of top ten ER moments.

10. The one where Abby and Luke get back together for good.
9. When Mark asks Elizabeth to marry him with the ring in the freezer of their new house.
8. The one where Doug Ross helps the little boy when he's not supposed to and eventually ends up leaving. (That was a SAD, SAD day.)
7. The ones where Carter goes to Africa to save Luka.
6. The Christmas one where Peter gives up surgery at county to be with his son and Cleo.
5. When Lucy and Carter get stabbed and Lucy dies.
4. Abby and Luka's wedding.
3. The very sad episode where Mark Greene died. (Did you see his daughter come back as a med student tonight? Talk about tying up loose ends!)
2. Dr. Romano's untimely demise. (Remember when the helicopter landed on him? After the helicopter cut off his arm, you'd think the guy would have stayed FAR away.)
1. Carol leaving everything to follow Doug Ross.

In trying to make this list, I had to laugh a little at all of the people who have died on this show. They're not kidding when they call it a drama.

What I really want to know is what the heck I'm going to do with my Thursday nights now?
Added later: The last episode is now over, and I have to admit I feel a little like something died. I may have to go find the bag of Cadbury Eggs I had Dougie hide from me this afternoon. We all grieve in our own way. . . :-)

4 comments:

R Fitz said...

I too am saddened by the end of ER, though it's been many years since I watched it regularly. Those were some of the best moments in your list. I think you should find the eggs...isn't it fun to get "egg" hunts from your kids hiding the treats???

Jamie said...

I ran over to my mom's last night so I could watch in peace and quiet. I thought of you and hoped you were making it through. :) I loved that Rachel was in there - good job ER writers! And as a bonus for me they had newby Doctor Wise (Alexis Bleidel) on the show. She was on Gilmore Girls - one of my favorite shows ever that is also over. So sad. What to do with our time now? If you get any good ideas let me know!

Jamie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
tiff said...

Sorry about ER....I never saw it, so I'm not feeling the pain like others are.

However, I'm totally using your idea to have your kids hide candy from you. Brilliant!