Monday, April 27, 2009

Why It's Not Okay to Throw Like a Girl-- Even If You Are One

One of that hats I'm wearing these days is a baseball hat that says "Coach" on it. I spend 2 hours a week trying to teach 8 nine year old girls how to hit and throw. Specifically, how NOT to throw like a girl.

Now normally, I wouldn't encourage non-lady-like behavior. (Well, maybe I would, but my definition of lady-like may vary from some of yours :-) However, when you're talking about baseball (or softball, as the case may be), there's nothing worse than throwing like a girl.

You'd think that I'd be offended by that, wouldn't you? I should at least defend our gender and be upset at such a generalization. The thing is, it is true.

Nearly every girl I've ever seen initially throws, well, like a girl. Sort of that timid little come-from-behind-the-head-push-it-like-a-shot-put kind of throw. You know, the one that goes right at the ground. About 10 feet away.

My sons don't throw like that. They are not super-stars, by any means, but they instinctively throw correctly. The boys on Mike's baseball team, while 2 years younger than the girls on my team, throw better and harder than the girls. I can't figure it out. What I do know, is that after weeks of hard work, my little Em (in the catcher's equipment in the pic) is finally throwing like a boy. It's one of my greater accomplishments.

So, girls, it is wonderful to be feminine-- except when there's a baseball glove on your hand. And, boys, if someone tells you that you cook like a girl, think like a girl, or talk like a girl, you should be flattered. But if they tell you that you throw like one, and rightly so, you'd better find a good coach.

1 comment:

7packofbearss said...

I had no idea Em was playing such serious ball this year. Full pads and everything. You go girl!!