Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Sky Is Falling!

Yesterday was one of those days when nothing went quite right-- everything seemed harder than it should have been.


I slept terribly the night before. A planned trip to Ikea was cut short when one of the kids puked. Attempts to help a friend get ready for a trip were ineffective. Layne had a crappy day at work too, and by the time night came we were both pretty well spent.


Our kids had a cousin sleep-over, and we counted it as a pretty big accomplishment that we had 6 kids asleep by 11:00 pm. In we settled for our long winter's nap.


At 2:00 am, there arose such a clatter, I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter. The streetlight was shining on new fallen snow (in April?), giving luster to the TREE fallen on the lawn below.

Yep. The CRACK then THUMP! was a HUGE branch falling out of our elm tree in front.


As I had 5 boys in the house, when I heard the sound, I assumed it had something to do with them. I got that adrenaline feeling-- heart beating fast, shallow breath, muscles tense-- you know the one-- and had to check everything out. Once I decided that the kids were fine (they slept through the racket), the Jeep parked in front was fine and that the house hadn't been hit, I tried to go back to sleep.

It took hours for me to get back to sleep-- and just as I did, CRACK, THUMP!-- another branch had broken off and fallen out of the tree-- right across the driveway. That was pretty much it for the sleep. After that, every sound I heard was another branch breaking.

The branch was too big for us to move out of the way, so I drove Layne to work so that I could have a car. Needless to say, his foul mood from last night has not improved any-- neither has mine, although I'm starting to see a little humor in the situation. It's either laugh about the whole thing (and be grateful that it wasn't worse!) or cry.

6 comments:

R Fitz said...

I think everyone had a bad night...glad no one was hurt...including the house. Kim I hate to tell you this...but I think your tree has had it with the snow! Isn't it strange how kids sleep through the biggest rackets and scares yet a little tiny noise can wake them for hours?!?!

J & L Bennett Family said...

Kim, I just read all of your most recent blogs and all I can say is, "You have the gift of making me laugh in spite of troubles." You should write a book or two. Keep on sharing because I identify with everything you're going through. It's funny how looking at your experiences through an old person's eyes, they are really rather humorous. Heavenly Father must really laugh a lot.

Jamie said...

I'm sorry my kid's puke just added another thorn in your side....what can I say. Hopefully our next adventure won't be so bad. That stink about your tree!

Anonymous said...

hey Kim, sorry about your crashing branches, but to tell the truth, it is quite a pretty picture. If you need help getting the branches moved let us know. Hope you have a better day!!! Mom

7packofbearss said...

I couldn't believe how many branches and trees were broken. I am glad your house wasn't hit or your car or something. The kids had a great time telling me about the tree though. You would have thought it practically fell on them.

Unknown said...

WOW! I didn't know it was that bad!

When I saw the forecast, we got the heck out of dodge.

We have been in San Diego getting sun-burned.
HAHAHAHAHEEHEE!<--maniacal laugh