Saturday, October 04, 2008

Chasing Fall

I've wanted to take the kids up the the mountains to go hiking for a couple of weeks now. You see, I love fall, and there is nothing I love more than driving up the canyon and being amazed and awed every time I round a corner. I love the sound of crunching leaves under my feet. (And under my bike wheels too, by the way.) I love the smell of apples on trees and pumpkins and all of the smells that belong in this time of year.


There is, of course, a "best" time to see the leaves in the mountains, and I knew that we were on the trailing edge of that time this week. However, due to our complicated lives, it hadn't worked out for us to get up there yet, and I was bummed. Yesterday, I decided rain or no rain, the kids and I were going hiking.


Some friends felt the same way, so Helene, Tina, Joy, and I checked our kids out of school a little early (you're welcome, kids) and up we went. Here's what we found:






I wish that a picture could sound, smell, taste, and really look like what we experienced.





It was actually pretty funny-- four soccer moms herding 12 kids ranging from 2 to 10 up a single-track trail. We kept getting passed by mountain bikers who were wondering how many people in this crazy train they were going to have to pass. Sorry we threw off your groove.


Here's the kids:





And here are their crazy moms:


Thanks for following me up the mountain, guys!

No comments: