Saturday, October 18, 2008

Yellowstone Day 3


What a gorgeous day to be in Yellowstone! It started out a bitter 24 degrees and we got into the park pre-sunrise. (Nicole said we'd see more animals that way. I thought she was full of it. She wasn't.)

First off, we saw a grizzly bear. It was far away and, if you can believe it, I was the first one to see it! I thought I was pretty cool, until the next bear just about jumped in front of our car. Here's the pic I snapped before we high-tailed it out of there: Here's the family at Mammoth Falls:




Here's my beautiful daughter-- who is starting to act like a teenager about 4 years too early. Here's Dougie. Think this shirt fits the boy or what? Here are my boys the once they weren't running, yelling or fighting. And finally, the moment you've all been waiting for, YES, I did actually get on my bike today! After riding West Yellowstone to Old Faithful last year (in the snow), I thought it would be easier to go the other way around and drive to Old Faithful, then ride back to W.Y. I debated about whether or not this was cheating, but I figured that since I rode up Firehole Hill last year, I earned the right to ride down.

What I didn't realize is that, except for the lack of Firehole Hill, the way back is as hard as the way there. Granted, there is a little more downhill (although less than you might think), but there is also a HEADWIND always for the last 15 miles! (Not to mention the stiff crosswind for the first 15!) The weather was perfect-- 60 degrees and sunny. Unfortunately, Layne got new gears on his bike and totally kicked my arse. Seriously, we're going up a hill about a 4%-5% grade and he's going 24 mph!!! He had to keep waiting for me and finally rode back and gave me a package of caffeinated Sport Beans. Love those things. Who needs Red Bull?
Could you find a more beautiful place to ride? We rode a little over 31 miles, averaged almost 19 mph, even with the wind. I came home starving and exhausted, (I know it's whimpy, but it was a hard 31 miles!) I ate a giant helping of lasagne and now I'm ready to call it a night. Too bad we have to come home tomorrow!

Here's a couple of other pics of cool stuff we saw today:



What a beautiful place!

No comments: