Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Mom-athlon

In the last three days, I have done Pilates, run, swam, cycled and lifted weights. I've been tinkering with the idea of the triathlon still, although I think I'd like it a whole lot better if I didn't have to run or swim. (Does that make it an "athlon"? Or just a bike ride...?) Mostly I'm just stiff everywhere.

I think I should create my own triathlon event. Anyone can enter, but I don't think that a non-mom could really compete. (Although I know some fantastic aunts who could probably kick butt.) Here are the events:

1. The After-School Dash: Jogging to and from school, following kids riding scooters with all of their backpacks on your back. You must keep up with the scooters and listen to all of your kids tell you about their day at once. You're score is based on your time AND the number of questions you get right about your kids' reports.

2. The Housework Obstacle Course: You must empty the dishwasher, sort a week's worth of laundry, sweep and mop the floor, make all of the beds and vacuum every room in the house. You can do it in any order, but you must do it all while talking on the phone. Score is based on time. (People with smaller houses and less kids have a distinct advantage here.)

3. The Walmart 5K: You will be given a random list of 25 items that can be found at Walmart. The winner brings them back the quickest AND has the lowest total. (Did I mention that you have to do it with 2 children and take each one of them to the bathroom at least once?)

Now honestly, can you tell me that this event isn't harder than the measly 300 yard swim, 15 mile bike, 5 k run I'm trying to train for? And I do the Mom-athlon everyday!

Who's signing up?

2 comments:

Lewis Fam said...

seriously your blog makes my day every time I read it.

Unknown said...

I don't mean to brag, but I pretty much lettered in the Mom-athon.

I have the monogramed bathrobe to prove it.