Monday, October 13, 2008

In Love with Laundry

When I was a missionary in Brazil, we had to wash our laundry by hand. The Brazilians were meticulous about it. Their whites were sparkling because they would soak them in Borax all night, then scrub them clean on a special laundry stone sink.



We Americans never really got the hang of it. We didn't want to spend our whole preparation day scrubbing our hands raw. One of my companions developed the "swish and rinse" method of laundry. This meant pretty much getting the clothes wet, then hanging them out to dry. (Which they never really did, as it rained nearly every day.)



No wonder everything in my suitcase smelled like wet dog when I got home. I remember opening it up with my family all around, waiting for me to bring out their gifts. As soon as I unzipped the suitcase, they all drew back in horror at the smell. Not me. I didn't notice it at all. I've always wondered what happened to all of the clothes I brought home that my mom discreetly gathered up and said she was going to wash?



Anyway, I hated doing laundry by hand and I promised myself that I would never take a washer and dryer for granted again. However, 15 years and 3 kids later, I used to find myself complaining every once in a while about the never-ending task of laundry which chained me to my house all day, every Monday.



No more. Not only am I working on my gratitude issues, but I am also in love with my new (relatively) washer and dryer. I can do nearly a week's worth of laundry by 1:00 in the afternoon. My dryer is actually done before the washer. I actually like doing laundry now!



If only I could find a folding machine....

Dang I'm lazy.

No comments: