Sunday, October 26, 2008

Facebook Induced Nostalgia

Layne got on Facebook nearly a year ago. I made fun of him for a little while-- thinking he was mostly re-living his glory days. He kept telling me that I should join too, but I didn't want to be that person-- until one day, I decided that I did.

I got my own Facebook page a few months ago, and since then, I have gotten in touch with a lot of really cool people that I'd just about forgotten. I love that I can see a little slice of their lives as they post profiles, add pictures, and communicate with me and each other. I am amazed at how many of them are scattered across the country-- especially as I live a whopping five miles from where I grew up.

My old friend and debate partner from high school recently joined facebook and added me as a friend. I've seen her on the news a few times, as she is a public defender in Salt Lake. You're awesome, Denise!

Back in the good old days, we were both ambitious teen-agers who took every AP class possible to get us on the fast track into college. We both had big plans for law school and careers as attorneys.

The thing was, I always knew she'd do it. I thought I wanted to as well, but somewhere deep inside of me, I knew that wasn't my path. It took me a while to figure out exactly what path I wanted to take, but somehow, the answers came.

I admire hugely people who know what they want and go after it, never letting go until they achieve their goals. I've never been that sure, until now.

I am absolutely happy with my life. The things that I want to change are the things that make life worth living-- the small goals that are my way of measuring the improvement I am hopefully making as a human being. (Like if I can ever overcome the urge to eat all of the chocolate in the house when I'm having a bad day, or if I can ever learn to control my swearing when I'm tired.)

Someday I will write a book. Someday I will go to Europe. Someday I will go back to Brazil. Someday I will learn Spanish. Right now, I will be a good mom and wife. And maybe I'll do that triathlon after all. (If I can ever learn to swim without the water going up my nose...)

No comments: